- Can you talk a little bit about who you are and what your work has been until now?
I am Osegbemoh Dania, from Lagos, Nigeria. I worked as a Network Infrastructure Manager for 9 years with an internet service provider & a chain of pharmaceutical retail stores across Nigeria before my journey to Craft Academy.
- During the spring of 2017, you participated in the Craft Academy bootcamp. What made you decide to learn to code?
I got tired of my networking job and needed a more challenging career path so I decided to try my hands on web app development by launching my own fashion e-commerce store. I had limited resources outsourcing the web app to a company or freelancer so I developed the website myself using a ready made framework called Magento. I got my e-commerce platform up & running but was unable to develop new features into the platform. This became a struggle for me and had to finally outsource to a freelancer. The desire to develop my own software product sparked my interest in coding. I explored several platforms like EDX, Coursera & Udemy but wasn’t learning fast due to my busy schedule at work and also got distracted trying to learn several programming frameworks at once. I had to resign from my job as a Network Manager to pursue a structured training program in a coding bootcamp.
- What would you say was the most important result of your time with Craft Academy?
The confidence in developing web applications using some of the best practices like test driven & behavioral driven development and the ease of learning new programming languages & development framework.
- What would you say was the most challenging part of the training model at Craft Academy?
Working on new projects weekly with very tight deadlines.
- What advice would you give someone who is thinking about enrolling in the bootcamp?
Don’t hesitate, it’s a great step to learning the most important fundamentals in coding. A bootcamp will help keep you focused, prevent the noise of too many software development frameworks out there and would also provide very good hands-on experience.You also get guidance from professionals who help review your coding style and also guide your thought process when writing code.